Good afternoon, Futures Lab Community -
It’s starting to feel like fall and we have some important updates to share as we approach the end of the first quarter. There is quite a bit of important information below so pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee, and get comfortable.
- Freaky Friday - October 8
- BELONG: Fall Learner Expo - December 7
- Parent-Teacher Conferences - Week of October 11
- Quarter 2 Daily and Weekly Schedule
- Personal Financial Literacy Friday Option
- Futures Week - October 19 & 21
Freaky Friday - October 8
One thing we love about the small community at the Lab is that students have the opportunity to see other pathways at work. Often students who come to the Lab for one pathway see something that interests them in another and we believe it’s important to encourage that curiosity.
We’re excited to embrace this exploration and test drive our first Freaky Friday pathway swap. Students will hear more about this in the coming weeks, but we wanted you to know that they will have the opportunity to visit up to three other pathways they’d like to learn more about. This could be a pathway they’re considering for next semester, next school year, or even just something that has made them curious.
BELONG: Fall Learner Expo - December 7
We believe that deep, authentic learning is enhanced when students have the opportunity to see how their learning connects to the world around them. Each semester at the Lab, students share what they’re working on with each other, their families, and the broader community. We don’t take traditional “final exams” so the Learner Expo represents our learners' chance to get their work in front of an audience.
As we celebrate the opportunity to reconnect in-person this school year, the theme of our fall 2021 expo is “BELONG.” We hope you will put a placeholder on your calendar for Tuesday, December 7, from 5pm-7pm. We are finalizing a contract for an exciting, unique venue for this fall’s expo and details will follow. For now, please save the date!
Parent-Teacher Conferences - Week of October 11
Virtual conferences were a success in 2020–2021 and we think that the virtual format provides for maximum flexibility. In the next week, teachers will be reaching out to let you know how to schedule a conference with them if you’d like.
Quarter 2 Daily and Weekly Schedule
As Quarter 1 draws to a close on October 14, we would like to make sure you understand how your learner’s schedule will work at the Lab.
Most students are enrolled in Futures Lab Seminar which is a one quarter, 5-credit class. This class will conclude on October 14. Our transportation schedule will not change so, when Seminar concludes, learners have three options when their pathway class ends each day:
- Students who have their own transportation may choose to leave campus when their pathway class is over.
- Students may choose to stay on campus for “Studio Time” and use one of our shared workspaces to work independently or with a group.
- In lieu of this “off block,” students who want to continue earning credit may opt to enroll in one of our quarter 2, 5-credit blended learning classes. Our quarter 2 offerings are Economics and Disruptive Technologies. Both classes satisfy PSD graduation requirements. Disruptive Tech earns PSD Humanities credit and is a unique Humanities offering only available at Futures Lab.
For students who choose one of our Blended Learning options for Q2:
- Mondays and Wednesdays, students will work on course content asynchronously through Google Classroom. Students who take the bus or wait for a ride are welcome to stay at the lab and use our space to complete their work on those days.
- On Tuesdays and Thursdays, students will have in-person classes here at the Lab.
You can see if your student has registered for one of these classes by clicking on Hexter 3 in ParentVue. To be clear, these are Quarter 2 classes, however due to a quirk in Synergy they show in PVUE as "Hexter 3." There is still time to request these courses! Please email our counselor, Bethany Condon at email@example.com, if you’d like to request Economics, Personal Finance, or Disruptive Technology.
Personal Financial Literacy Friday Option
PFL is a graduation requirement in PSD and we are thrilled to partner with Canvas to offer a unique opportunity for students to earn their 5 PFL credits by attending 6 Friday classes during the time they’d ordinarily be at the Lab anyway. There will be a reasonable amount of asynchronous work between the Fridays, but this is an excellent way to satisfy this PSD graduation requirement.
The class is available during our AM and PM time slots on the following Fridays: October 22, October 29, November 5, November 12, November 19, and December 3. Please email our counselor, Bethany Condon at firstname.lastname@example.org, if you’d like to register.
After pathway classes on Tuesday, October 19th and Thursday, October 21st we will be facilitating several activities that help students plan for the future. The event that inspired Futures Week is Colorado Free Application Days, which waives college application fees for all Colorado institutions from October 19th - 21st. We hope any senior applying to a Colorado college will join in for support, essay editing, and snacks! For underclassmen or students considering other postsecondary options we will be offering a variety of future-themed activities including resume review, financial aid advising, and activities in Xello (our district’s college & career readiness software). More information to come as Futures Week gets closer!
As always, we are glad to have you as a member of the diverse community of learners at Futures Lab. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to support you and your learner as we transition into quarter 2.